This blog is a celebration of the wonderful world of vegan cooking. Enjoy!

* The title of this blog refutes the dangerous idea that veganism is a weight-loss diet and that all vegans are skinny. Conversely, being a-not-so-skinny-vegan is also not the same as being overweight or unhealthy. All food intake must be part of a balanced lifestyle.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I like pie

I've had many, many adventures (gourmet and scenic) recently but have not had time to upload any of the photos. But to make you all aware that I have not abandoned you I will mention my new love of making pastry crusts!

I had book club the other night and made a delicious One-Crust Mediterranean Pie and discovered that making crust is very easy!

Elise's Never-Fail Recipe for Awesome Crust
3/4 cup wholemeal flour
3/4 cup plain flour
6 tbsp vegan margarine

Add the two flours together and then add the margarine. Mix the margarine through with your fingertips until you have a mixture that looks a lot like fine breadcrumbs (you might need to add a little more margarine). Then add cold water (I usually use 1/4 cup but you may need a little more) to make a dough. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until it is smooth and elastic. Cover with cling wrap and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes (minimum).

Once you've taken it out of the fridge roll it out onto a lightly floured surface and use it for whatever.

This recipe makes enough pastry for a one-crust pie (a base and partly covered top). If you want to make a pie with a base and a lid use 1 cup of each flour and 8 tbsp of margarine and 1/3 cup of cold water and halve the dough before you refrigerate it.

It was my cousin's 21st on the weekend and I was in charge of making the cake. I also made a delicious blueberry and apple pie. I just made the pastry to the recipe above (with the extra for the top and base) and made a filling. It's very quick and easy and I will post the recipe for the cake and pie soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment