This blog is a celebration of the wonderful world of vegan cooking. Enjoy!

* The title of this blog refutes the dangerous idea that veganism is a weight-loss diet and that all vegans are skinny. Conversely, being a-not-so-skinny-vegan is also not the same as being overweight or unhealthy. All food intake must be part of a balanced lifestyle.

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Vegan Donuts!

I kind of miss Seattle. It's funny how some cities don't really have anything interesting but you still enjoy them more than anywhere else. And when you leave they pull you back with small memories twinged with tastes, smells and sounds.

I stayed at the Green Tortoise Hostel on Pike Street which I would highly recommend to anyone. They have free breakfast (and this isn't just one bagel... cough... HI Fort Mason... cough) you can make pancakes and eggs... or if you are vegan eat toast and fruit. They have great organised tours and free dinners on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday nights. And the tacos were vegan friendly! Yum! And the chef was more than happy to answer any questions about what was in them right down to the oil they used.

Directly underneath the hostel is a cosy coffee shop called Seattle Coffee Works. They roast their coffee on site (I can't vouch for the coffee since I was on a caffeine-free binge in the world's coffee capital; ironic, I know.), had soy milk readily available and serve their hot drinks up in bowl like cups. But the most important part is... the vegan donuts!


The are supplied my Mighty O Donuts (http://www.mightyo.com/) and are delicious. I was never a donut person. The melt in your mouth taste of hot cinnamon donuts was always ruined by the foreseeable cold, greasy lump of dough they'd be the next day. But these donuts are fantastic. I had the lemon and poppy seed as recommended by the fellow vegan barista behind the counter. It was excellent cold.

The United States became a lot more vegan friendly in the last four years since I was last here. And the result is that I'll be coming back to Australia heavier once again. And thank goodness! Otherwise I'd have to think of a new blog title.

2 comments:

  1. Hi!

    It's so funny, I was looking up "vegan" and "Coeur d'Alene" and came across your profile. I am from Seattle, now living in Brisbane, thoroughly fed up with the lack of vegan options here and moving back to Seattle next month! Just thought I'd post to you because it's so ironic... I really hope Brisbane gets its act together soon, as the lack of vegan availability has all but driven me away. And by the way, I think Whole Foods has the best vegan desserts ever - did you get to try the Vegan Peanut Butter Fudge? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Meg!

    Yes, Seattle is far, far, far better with vegan options. Although Brisbane is sunnier!

    I've never been able to eat peanut butter in any dessert. I can only eat it on toast. But Americans love it in everything!

    Hope you find my Coeur d'Alene restaurant reviews helpful!

    ReplyDelete